Yosemite's Water: It's Beautiful but Very Dangerous
Don't underestimate the power and danger of the Merced River and the many smaller rivers and creeks in the area. Please keep the following in mind:
- Stay clear from streams and riverbanks and avoid rock hopping. Rocks near the water are slippery and extremely dangerous.
- Supervise children at all times around all water.
- If you must cross streams, choose your routes carefully and use extreme caution.
- Avoid hypothermia. Melted snow water is cold and can drain body energy in seconds.
- Avoid prolonged contact with cold water.
- Rafting & Boating are prohibited during high water periods. The entire length of the Merced River
is closed to all flotation devices whenever the river gauge at Sentinel Bridge reads 7 feet or higher.
For other seasonal rafting and boating restrictions, contact a Yosemite Park Ranger.
Copyright © 1996 - 2002 Ace & Friends
All rights reserved